BGP flapping while peering with Juniper - Hold timer expired error

Jimmy Halim jhalim at ap.equinix.com
Thu Sep 5 11:41:00 CEST 2013

Hi Santiago,

BIRD running on Centos. The 2nd working session also use the same MD5
password and same hardware. The funny part is we have just fixed the issue
by removing the MD5 password. We then tried a different MD5 password but
the session flaps again.

The funny part, when the BGP is established during the flap, I don't get
any routes from the neighbour. But the neighbour claims that they received
all prefixes that are advertised by us. Is there any other aspect that
might cause this?

By the way, the firewall rules are the same on both route servers running
BIRD:
[root etc]# ip6tables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all      anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all      anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp      anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     tcp      anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
dpt:bgp
REJECT     all      anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp6-adm-prohibited

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
REJECT     all      anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp6-adm-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Thanks,
Jimmy