Multihop BGP cannot use direct gateway mode - misidentification of multihop sessions?

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:27:01 CEST 2014

Ondrej,

On 13 Aug 2014, at 10:03, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote:

> In short, the default values depends in this direction:
>
> EBGP|IBGP  ->  direct|multihop  ->  gateway direct|recursive
>
> Changing former would change the default value for later, but not otherwise.

Not sure I understand that.

The session is IBGP. It is not multihop (by which I mean it's
on the same subnet), but AFAICT bird thinks it is.

How do I change it to a 'direct' (as opposed to multihop) session? I
think you are saying it's defaulting to a multihop configuration (and
thus 'gateway' defaults to 'recursive'), as opposed to it detecting
a multihop session.

Also, you cannot (it would seem) change to 'gateway direct' as you get
the error.

At the very least I think there is a documentation error as
it says 'gateway direct' is the default.

--
Alex Bligh