Protocol static with virtual devices

Sergey Popovich popovich_sergei at mail.ru
Wed Jul 30 12:39:16 CEST 2014

> Hi everyone,

Hello.

> many months ago I tried to install a route on a virtual device (IPIP,
> GRE, doesn't matter) like this:
> protocol static {
>    1.2.3.0/24 via "ipip0";
> }
>
> It didn't worked out. So I've choosen another non-bird solution.
> Yesterday I tried it again and it still does not work. Now I've tried to
> investigate a bit:
> birdc show interfaces:
> ipip0 DOWN (index=39)
> 	PtP Multicast AdminUp LinkUp MTU=16412

It seems no IP address configured on interface, thus BIRD thinks
interface is down for routing.

Try to add a "fake" ip address with scope host to interface ipip0
to bring interface UP and triggering route import to the table from the
static protocol (1.2.3.0/24).

# ip -4 addr add 127.0.0.1/32 scope host dev ipip0

# birdc 'show interfaces ipip0'
ipip0 up (index=20, group=0x00000000)
        PtP Multicast AdminUp LinkUp MTU=1480
        127.0.0.1/32 (Primary, scope host)

# birdc 'show route for 1.2.3.4'
BIRD 1.3.11 ready.
1.2.3.0/24         dev ipip0 [static1 13:36:24] * (200)

Tested with Linux 3.2.x kernel and BIRD 1.3.11.

--
SP5474-RIPE
Sergey Popovich