Unnumbered interfaces and OSPF

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Thu Jun 26 11:27:26 CEST 2014

Hi!

I am trying to use unnumbered interfaces and OSPF.

On one router:

ip addr add 10.90.255.3/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 10.90.255.3/32 dev eth1

On the other:

ip addr add 10.90.255.4/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 10.90.255.4/32 dev eth1

On both of them:

protocol ospf INTERNAL {
  import all;
  export none;
  area 0.0.0.0 {
    networks {
      10.90.255.3/32;
      10.90.255.4/32;
    };
    interface "eth0" { bfd yes; type ptp; };
    interface "eth1" { bfd yes; type ptp; };
  };
  ecmp yes;
}

But:

bird> show ospf
INTERNAL:
RFC1583 compatibility: disabled
Stub router: No
RT scheduler tick: 1
Number of areas: 1
Number of LSAs in DB:   2
        Area: 0.0.0.0 (0) [BACKBONE]
                Stub:   No
                NSSA:   No
                Transit:        No
                Number of interfaces:   2
                Number of neighbors:    0
                Number of adjacent neighbors:   0
                Area networks:
                            10.90.255.4/32      Advertise       Active
                            10.90.255.3/32      Advertise       Active
bird> show ospf interface
INTERNAL:
Interface eth0 (10.90.255.3/32)
        Type: ptp
        Area: 0.0.0.0 (0)
        State: ptp (stub)
        Cost: 10
        ECMP weight: 1
        Hello timer: 10
        Wait timer: 40
        Dead timer: 40
        Retransmit timer: 5
Interface eth1 (10.90.255.3/32)
        Type: ptp
        Area: 0.0.0.0 (0)
        State: ptp (stub)
        Cost: 10
        ECMP weight: 1
        Hello timer: 10
        Wait timer: 40
        Dead timer: 40
        Retransmit timer: 5

tcpdump shows me that no hello packets are tentatively transmitted.

Why is the state of each interface marked as "stub"? I would expect each
OSPF router to be able to discover itself through the PtP link.
--
printk("What? oldfid != cii->c_fid. Call 911.\n");
        2.4.3 linux/fs/coda/cnode.c