Feature request: static routes to not directly connected gateways

Alexander Demenshin aldem-bird.2014 at nk7.net
Wed Oct 22 20:10:06 CEST 2014

Hi,

It would be nice to be able to use "indirect" gateways, i.e. which are
routed via interface but are not part of interface networks, like this:

protocol static {
   route 10.1.1.0/24 via "eth0";
   route 10.2.1.0/24 via 10.1.1.1;
}

Linux supports this, so it would be really useful and opens interesting
opportunities, like automatically adding routes once specified gateway
becomes reachable after adding an interface-bound route (either outside
or inside of Bird).

One possible application (from my actual configuration) is routing of
specific networks through VPN gateway - the gateway itself is in /30
transfer network (and this could not be changed easily) so I could not
make it reachable directly on more than one Bird router simultaneously.

Please consider this for next release :)

Thank you!

--
With best regards,
Alexander.