Multiple OSPF instances on one interface

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Oct 16 16:49:56 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 08:48:36AM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run two instances of OSPFv3 on a single interface, one in
> stub mode, the other in normal broadcast mode. It doesn't seem to work,
> in one of the protocols the interface ends up being marked "down". I
> don't see why that would be, since one of the instances is in stub mode,
> there should be no conflict between the two instances.

Generally, the interfaces must use different instance id to be shared
between instances. Although it is true that there is no real conflict if
the interface is in stub mode, it is not taken into account.

Just set the instance id on stub:

     interface "eth0" instance 1 {
       stub yes;
     };

(Or better, you could set common instance id for the whole special-use
ospf instance, but that would have to be used consistently on all routers
in given OSPF domain.)