Does radv protocol (re)scan interfaces on IPv6?

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Mon Sep 1 13:57:57 CEST 2014

I am trying to isolate an issue with the radv protocol running on IPv6

I have possibly the world's simplest radv configuration:

protocol radv evrradv {
        interface "-evrr-000000", "evrr-*" {
                max ra interval 4;
        };
}

The idea here is that the router provides radv information on all interfaces with names starting evrr- except evrr-000000.

What I am seeing is that if I add another interface, radv does not appear to work.

A reload produces:

# birdc6 reload evrradv
BIRD 1.3.4 ready.
evrradv: reload failed

This doesn't help

A restart produces:

# birdc6 restart evrradv
BIRD 1.3.4 ready.
evrradv: restarted

This fixes things, and radv appears to work.

I am quite sure this used to work with the same software a little while ago, but it may be that I'm going mad. Should radv pick up creation and deletion of new interfaces? Might this be something related to the ordering of applying the IP address and taking the interface up or something? How is this meant to work?

This is an old version of bird (1.3.4), but initial tests indicate the same is happening on a relatively recent version (I'll attempt to reproduce this further). I don't really want to restart bird6's radv protocol every time I add an interface as this is quite frequent.

--
Alex Bligh