Dropped netlink updates during scans

Shaun Crampton Shaun.Crampton at metaswitch.com
Thu Aug 13 17:12:26 CEST 2015

Hi,

We’re using BIRD to redistribute routes that are programmed into the Linux
kernel for routing to local containers or VMs.  We set a scan time in the
kernel section of the config in order to notice when routes are removed.

Normally, BIRD picks up routes that are added extremely quickly.  However,
if a route is added during a scan, it seems to be missed and it is not
picked up until the next scan, many seconds later.

Is this a known issue; is there a workaround?  For example, is there a way
to tell BIRD that a route was removed from my external code rather than
having it poll?

Thanks,

-Shaun