Socket error: TCP_MD5SIG: Cannot allocate memory

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Mon Aug 24 21:59:06 CEST 2015

I have a machine running BIRD 1.4.5, and I'm seeing a lot of these
messages when I start it up:

2015-08-24 15:54:26 <ERR> xxxx: Socket error: TCP_MD5SIG: Cannot
allocate memory
2015-08-24 15:54:26 <ERR> yyyy: Socket error: TCP_MD5SIG: Cannot
allocate memory

It also seems like the sessions that report that error do not come up,
and show a status of 'Error: Kernel MD5 auth failed'.

I'm only trying to configure around 200 BGP sessions here, most of which
are advertising a very small number of prefixes.

I don't really see any tunable settings here, any suggestions as to how
I can correct this?