default route via OSPF depending on the ISP

Christian Tacke Christian.Tacke+bird.network.cz at cosmokey.com
Thu Dec 3 19:45:58 CET 2015

Hi Sascha,

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 15:12:10 +0000, Rohrmann Sascha wrote:
[...]
> Second problem is, not every ISP supports BFD yet because BFD is kinda new.
> I was thinking about a simple ping which checks the availability of the opposite party.
> Am I able to include a simple shell script in bird?
> E.g.:
> =======================
> Include ping.sh   (ping check)
> If (ping.sh = 1)
> {
> 	export 0.0.0.0/0 via eth0;
> }
> =======================
>
> Do you have more information and/or tips for me, by chance?
[...]

As I have exactly the same problem, here's, what I am
planing to do:

- Have a static route (in its own static protocol) in bird,
  activated by default.
- Run an external script, that pings the isp regularly. In
  fact, I am considering to let icinga do that.
- If the ping fails, let that script (icinga) call
  "birdc disable static_isp_route"
- If the ping works again, call
  "birdc enable static_isp_route"
- Finally: Be annoyed, that your isp doesn't support bfd or
  ospf/bgp.

In our case, the major difference is: We're not going to
ping, but query the state of the modem. Which in itself is
annoying, because we're forced to use an avm fritzbox and
the only way to ask it about its state is by doing upnp.

Cheers

Christian

--
www.cosmokey.com