bird4 scope link

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Feb 23 21:09:21 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 08:34:39PM +0100, Amadeus Alfa wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have checked the implementation again and it seems ‘ipv4_has_link_scope()’ is not implemented:

Hi

IPv4 link-local addresses are not supported in BIRD because AFAIK
there are no real link-local addresses in IPv4. There is reserved range
(169.254.0.0/16), but in the sockets API, these addresses are handled as
any other IPv4 addresses (compared to IPv6 link-local addresses, where
you may and also must specify interface as scope).

If you have one interface, just don't use the interface name. We
currently do not handle well having the same IPv4 address range on
multiple interfaces, but when this will be fixed, it would work in the
same way for 169.254.0.0/16 and any other IPv4 prefix.

Note that it is not a good idea to have completely numeric interface name,
it will be parsed as number and would not work even with IPv6 address
in BIRD. That can be fixed by using '' (as in your original post).