IPv6 BGP segfault with bird 1.4.5

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jan 13 02:47:06 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 02:02:31AM +0100, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> On 01/13/2015 01:45 AM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:02:10PM +0100, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> recently bird6 has been crashing quite often (several times a week) on
> >> one of our systems (I don't know why only one of two systems with very
> >> similar config is affected). Our config contains ~50 BGP peerings, the
> >> number of exchanged routes is about 100 in total.
> >

> >> Please let me know if you need any more information...
> >
> > Hi, could you send me your config file and log fife?
> >

> I've attached the configs and what I could get of our logs from before
> the crash.

I guess the problem manifests because of two protocols sharing IP address:

protocol bgp ff_nrw3 from bgp_icvpn {
    neighbor fec0::a:cf:0:55 as 65530;
}

protocol bgp ff_westpfalz1 from bgp_icvpn {
    neighbor fec0::a:cf:0:55 as 65242;
}

You could try attached patch, it should fix the probable source of problems.