Bird6 freeze under high load

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Jan 31 15:06:37 CET 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 02:47:51PM +0100, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> This took several minutes to complete, and there certainly isn't so much
> IPv6 routes in the kernel: routes appear several times in the output of
> "ip -6 r".  Running this command multiple times yields very different
> results each time.
>
> Thus, I don't think the bug is in Bird.  Could it be some kind of race
> condition with netlink?  I haven't been able to find any reference to this
> bug, either in the kernel or in iproute2.  For reference, this is on a
> Debian wheezy system, but I can reproduce the duplicate routes in "ip -6 r"
> on Debian jessie as well.

Interesting, what are the kernel versions in these Wheezy and Jessie systems?
Does the problem (with 'ip -6 r') appears also when BIRD is not running?

I wonder what factors are specific to this problem. I remember there were
a similar report or two few years ago, but these reports are too uncommon
to be an universal problem in IPv6 Linux forwarding.