bird6: "Netlink: No such process" error from kernel proto on OSPF multipath prefixes

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Jul 27 21:57:55 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:03:13AM +0100, Israel G. Lugo wrote:
> On 07/24/2015 06:30 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> > Bird6 does not support ecmp in ipv6. It install and delete routes again
> > on every sync. We hope that sometimes developers fix this issue.
> >

> Oh, that is very unfortunate. I have a high IPv6 usage, as all our
> internal VLANs are dual stack, and all public services are fully IPv6-ready.
>
> Question for the BIRD developers: would you say this functionality is
> hard to implement? Do you have plans for it in the near future? I am a
> developer myself; I could try to help with a Linux implementation, if
> you don't mind giving me a few general pointers into the code.

Hi

The problem here is that Linux IPv6 multipath API is different from the
IPv4 multipath API and very inconvenient for our purposes.

AFAIK people from Cumulus Networks are trying to fix this issue directly
in Linux kernel to have more reasonable API, which would probably make
BIRD work with some minimal fixes.

For more details, see slides 15+ in:
https://www.netdev01.org/docs/prabhu-linux_ipv4_ipv6_inconsistencies_talk_slides.pdf