BGP multipath support

João Taveira Araújo joao.taveira at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 03:04:53 CEST 2015

In our hack around this we (Fastly) ended up adding a bgp_rte_same
with pretty much everything you mention.

One non-obvious addition is that we ended up enforcing that the
multipath entry had the same next AS, i.e bgp_get_neighbor(new) ==
bgp_get_neighbor(old). With nothing else to tie break, we'd end up
getting next hops towards the same prefix over different carriers. The
problem with this is that with a high degree of route churn we'd get
next hop invalidation, in which case a flow going over one carrier
would flap onto another mid-flight, which had performance implications
for users.

We ended up enforcing this in our selection policy but it should
arguably be optional (strict mode).