Bird 1.5.0: protocol 'direct' looses routes

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Jun 18 11:20:56 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 11:25:13AM +0300, Andrew wrote:
> >What OSPF implementation is used by these neighbors? How long it took for
> >BIRD 1.4.5 and Quagga?
> These neighbors work with quagga 0.99.22. BIRD 1.4.5 starts much faster
> (currently I haven't possibility to check it - test box isn't near me and
> it's down); quagga on neighbor xxx.xxx.202.4 (IP 192.168.255.91) starts in
> some seconds (it's old 0.99.9)

Well, it is likely a minor compatibility problem between Quagga and BIRD.
During the loading phase one side sends LSREQ packets and the other side
answers with LSUPD packets. As LSREQ has larger cappacity, one LSREQ
packet should be answered by more (~3) LSUPD packets. BIRD waits for all
these LSUPD packets before sending another LSREQ, but in this case Quagga
is sending just one or two LSUPD, therefore BIRD does not answer with
next LSREQ immediately but after a timeout.

Old behavior was bit more aggresive, BIRD sends next LSREQ immediately
after the first LSUPD, which may lead to a request storm where one
LSA was requested and transmitted multiple times (because remaining LSUPD
packets are still pending and would also lead to LSREQ).

I would discuss this issue with Quagga devs.