bird becoming unresponsive after a few hours

Darren O'Connor mellow.drifter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 10:29:08 CEST 2015

Hi.

I run bird 1.3.7 on a Debian VPS which peers with three IPv4 peers and
three IPv6 peers. I have no data plane traffic, as I use these peers to run
these two twitter accounts:
https://twitter.com/bgp4_table
https://twitter.com/bgp6_table

I needed more peers, so I moved to a new VPS with 2GB ram. The previous
only had 1GB.

I have have 7 global IPv4 peers and 7 IPv6 peers. I'm running bird 1.4.0 on
Ubuntu 14.04 - I've noticed that if I leave it for about an hour, and then
log into birdc and type 'show route count' - bird will stall for about a
minute giving no response. At that time, if I check netstat my Recv-Q
rapidly increases on all my BGP sessions.

Now and then my BGP peers will also go down stating hold time expired. When
I check at random times my Recv-Q is high on these sessions.

My older server with three peers has never had this issue.

Unfortunately bird's log is not showing anything. It only shows when a peer
goes down due to the hold time expired.

Any ideas on what I can check?

Thanks
Darren