bird becoming unresponsive after a few hours

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Jun 25 11:50:32 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 09:20:57AM +0100, Darren O'Connor wrote:
> As for the behaviour. I noticed that when it stalls, even doing a 'show
> mem' will sit for about 10 seconds before giving me a result. But at that
> time I don't see high CPU or MEM usage

When BIRD is unresponsive, it is not unusual that even simple commands
may took about 10 seconds before being processed.

When such behavior is experienced, CPU could be busy (user or system),
idle or in IO-wait state - see top:

Cpu(s):  7.7%us,  4.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 88.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st

You say it is not busy. For common server, you would see high wait time and
low memory if the system is swapping. But since it is VPS, i would guess
that the server could be overcommited and swapping on the provider side,
which would look like being idle and with plenty of memory in the inside
of VPS but with the same performance problems.