OSPF type broadcast over GRE for NRHP

Clint Armstrong clint at clintarmstrong.net
Mon Mar 2 21:49:48 CET 2015

I am trying to use BIRD to run OSPF inside a Phase 3 DMVPN using OpenNHRP.
The problem I'm seeing is that it appears to be impossible to force type
broadcast on a GRE interface. When I try, the message "Cannot use interface
gre1 as broadcast, forcing nbma" is logged.

This may normally make sense, but the OpenNHRP daemon captures multicast
traffic on it's interface and forwards it appropriately.

A configuration parameter to bypass this protection and allow broadcast on
a GRE interface would be very helpful.