Routes disappear after reloading BIRD configuration

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri May 22 02:33:33 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 04:05:10PM -0700, Robert Brockbank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got two hosts each running BIRD within a docker container.  If I
> restart BIRD on one of the hosts, I drop routes.
>
> I have the kernel option "persist" set, running bird with the -R option and
> set kernel and bgp to have graceful restart.
>
> Restarting the service, sending in a SIGHUP or entering "configure" on
> birdc all cause routes to be dropped temporarily.
>
> Any thoughts on what might be causing this?  Is this just a configuration
> issue?  I've outlined my set up below, including config files etc.

Hi

Seems like a bug in handling unnamed protocols derived from a template.
As a workaround, just add an explicit name to bgp protocols:

  protocol bgp bgp_p1 from bgp_template {
    neighbor 172.17.8.101 as 64511;
  }

> One other question, are there any plans to allow dynamic reconfiguration
> (e.g. adding and removing a peer) without restarting the protocols?

Adding and removing peers (i.e. BGP protocols) with reconfiguration
should not restart other protocols.