RIP with MD5 authentication

Alex Lalik alvel85 at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 12 16:20:06 CET 2015

Hello,

I face a problem when configuring RIP with MD5 authentication in bird.
I find no examples in configuring bird this way, so maybe this could be
added to the documentation.

This is the bird configuration I use:

protocol kernel {

  scan time 20;           # Scan kernel routing table every 20 seconds

  export all;             # Default is export none

  learn;

  device routes;

}

protocol device {

  scan time 10;           # Scan interfaces every 10 seconds

}

protocol direct {

  interface "eth0";

}

filter rip_export {

  # redistribute connected

  if ( source = RTS_DEVICE ) then {

     print "net accepted:", net;

     accept;

  }

  reject;

}

protocol rip RIP {

  debug all;

  honor neighbor;

  authentication md5;

  passwords {

    password "secret";

  };

   port 520;

  interface "eth0" {

    mode multicast;

  };

  import all;

  export filter rip_export;

}

I tried to configure bird with the configuration above to connect to quagga
(v0.99.23.1) and also to another instance of bird (v1.4.4 and v1.5.0). In
both cases I get an error message in the logs that the authentication has
failed:

Nov 11 15:39:12 AVILA err   bird: MD5 tail signature is not there

Nov 11 15:39:12 AVILA err   bird: RIP: Authentication failed

In case I use plain configuration (authentication plaintext) instead of MD5
then the boxes connect successfully and routes are exchanged.
Do I use a wrong RIP configuration or is this a bug in bird ?

Best regards,
Alexander Velkov