iBGP and Next-Hop cost

Adam Priestley adam at pack-net.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 15:21:36 CEST 2015

On 10 September 2015 at 12:03, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org>
 wrote:

> I examined it and for some reason[*] BIRD does not accept OSPF type-2
> external metric as IGP metric for the purpose of recursive route
> comparison. There are two solutions, either export that static routes to
> OSPF as type-1 external routes instead of type-2 external routes, or set
> the ipg_metric route attribute explicitly in OSPF import filters (e.g.
> 'igp_metric = ospf_metric1' would use ospf_metric1 always even for type-2
> external route).
>
> [*] Probably because type-2 external routes have both type-2 metric and
> regular metric, both have 24-bit range and it would be problematic
> to compress that into 32-bit igp metric range.

Hi Ondrej,

Thanks for your assistance. I will try what you've suggested, but I'd just
like to make sure I understand you.

You mention static routes, but there are none in my configuration. OSPF is
learning linknets and router loopbacks only, this particular /32 is only
ever known to BGP. Are you saying that when OSPF is learning the linknets
that ultimately provide the routes used for next-hop, I should be applying
the 'igp_metric = ospf_metric1' filter?

Thanks again.

Adam Priestley
Network Administrator
Packnet Limitedt: +44 (0)161 660 2350
f: +44 (0)161 660 9825
e: adam at pack-net.co.uk
w: http://www.pack-net.co.uk/

Registered Address: PACKNET LIMITED, Duplex 2, Ducie House
37 Ducie Street
Manchester, M1 2JW
COMPANY REG NO. 04920552