HA setup (v 1.4.5)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Sep 17 11:37:33 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:08:00AM -0400, Jigar Mehta wrote:
> I have BIRD installed to test working with a custom forwarding plane. The
> forwarding plane supports HA in the following way :
>
> -  Syncs up routing tables
> -  Provides millisecond failover (since routing tables are synced up)
> - Shared MAC
> - At any given time only one of the appliance is actively receiving and
> processing packets.
> - Both appliances have BIRD running (rte_notify sends route updates to
> forwarding plane) and a small wrapper that processes forwarding table
> routing updates (static routes , etc)

Hello

Am i understand it correctly that you have two BIRD instances on two
separate appliances/OSes that share a FIB and network interfaces? Does
one instance sees routes in FIB from the other instance? How failover
works, is it somehow signalized to appliances, or BIRD just start
receiving packets? Could both appliances communicate each with other?

Could the hardware be configured in such a way that intefaces have
separate MACs for both appliances so both could receive and process
packets destinated to it? In that case you could just run two regular
routing instances (from the neighbor point of view), both generating the
same routing table.

I don't think BFD could be used for this purpose.

Graceful recovery could be used in this case, but you are right that BIRD
currently does not support it for OSPF and it would also needed some
modifications - BIRD starts graceful recovery immediately after start,
so you could either postpone BIRD startup after failover or modify BIRD
to wait for it.