Device protocol not recognizing interface address change

Israel G. Lugo israel.lugo at tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Mon Sep 28 13:31:09 CEST 2015

Hello,

On 19-08-2015 10:20, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:54:40AM +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
>> No, it is a bug, not behavior by design. Could you send me a log from the
>> start of BIRD (ideally two logs for both cases - one where interfaces end
>> in down state and one when BIRD crashes with 'in down state?' message)
>> with enabled debug messages by adding this option to the OSPF protocol:
>>
>> debug {events, states, interfaces};
>>
>> ?
>
> Or you could just try and test attached patch, it should fix the problem.

I apologize for the delay in responding. I have tried the patch and it
does fix the problem. Namely:

Before the patch, starting Bird 1.5.0 with all interfaces LINK DOWN
would leave the OSPF interfaces in Down state, from which they would
never recover. Sometimes (perhaps a race condition?) Bird would actually
quit with the log message "Iface eth1 in down state?" from the OSPF
protocol (eth1 area 0.0.0.0).

After the patch, this no longer happens. Starting Bird with all
interfaces LINK DOWN leaves the OSPF interfaces in Loopback state, and
they recover to Waiting when link is brought up.

Thank you for the help and sorry again for the delay. Not always easy to
find time to set up a testing lab with the day to day work.

Regards,

--
Israel G. Lugo
Núcleo de Redes e Comunicações