Question about graceful restart timer

Robert Wein robert.wein at univie.ac.at
Thu Aug 25 08:23:09 CEST 2016

Hello bird users,

one of our VIX customers (RS-Client) came up with a question about the graceful restart timer.
At his Cisco he found:

------------
 Graceful Restart Capability: advertised and received
      Remote Restart timer is 0 seconds
------------

We don't have anything related to graceful restart in our config, defaults should apply.

At packet level, I found in BGP Open sent from bird:

------------
            Capability: Route refresh capability
                Type: Route refresh capability (2)
                Length: 0
            Capability: Graceful Restart capability
                Type: Graceful Restart capability (64)
                Length: 2
                Restart Timers: 0x0000
                    0... .... .... .... = Restart: No
                    .... 0000 0000 0000 = Time: 0
------------

Next, I tried to set the timer explicitly, which ended up again with restart timer 0 in BGP Open.

The only way to get the correct timer in the packet was to set graceful to yes in the protocol definition.

------
graceful restart time 10;
graceful restart yes;
------

As far as I understand the default for graceful restart ("aware") should be enough to advertise capability and timer.

I am grateful for every advice,

regards

Robert

--