Version 2.0.0pre0

Israel G. Lugo israel.lugo at lugosys.com
Thu Dec 8 18:19:58 CET 2016

On 12/08/2016 04:42 PM, Martin Mares wrote:
> Hello, world!\n
>
>> I think that we should expand static protocol to allow adding or deleting
>> routes interactively. There are some problematic behavioral details in
>> it; e.g., how we should handle interactive removal of a route from
>> configuration. Should we have two independent sets of routes, one
>> added/removed by reconfiguration, one interactively? Or should we allow
>> to remove interactively one from configuration? If so, should it respawn
>> during reconfiguration?
> Maybe define a separate protocol which exports routes added/removed online?

I really like this idea! A protocol called "interactive" or "runtime" or
somesuch. It keeps the configuration clean, without having to complicate
the static protocol, or having strange unintuituve behaviors. The
"interactive" protocol would only have routes learned online, so its
behavior is well defined. On bootup it has no routes, and during the
lifetime of Bird, it will learn or forget routes manually through the
CLI or other APIs. A few new CLI/API commands, to "add", "remove" and
"clear". This makes the question of reconfiguration simple: it should
not touch the "interactive" routes. If the user wants to clear them he
will use the "clear" command at runtime.

Regards,
Israel