static default vs bgp default

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Fri Feb 5 12:34:03 CET 2016

On 02/02/16 23:23, Angel Lopez Delgado wrote:

> Change the preference in your static protocol configuration:
>
> protocol static {
>   route 0.0.0.0/0 unreachable;
>   preference 99;
> }

Hi everyone,

Following Angel's suggestion, I now have the following in bird.conf:

protocol static dropall {
    preference 50;
    route 0.0.0.0/0 blackhole;
}

and the following in bird6.conf:

protocol static dropall {
    preference 50;
    route ::/0 blackhole;
}

For IPv4, this appears to be working:

# ip route show table 10 | fgrep default
blackhole default  proto bird

However, it doesn't appear to have worked for IPv6 (yes, I reloaded bird6):

# ip -6 route show table 10 | fgrep default
# ip -6 route show table 10 | fgrep ::/0

I even piped the entire output of the "ip -6 route show table 10"
command to a pager, and eyeballed the routes. There's no default.

But...

# birdc6 show route ::/0
BIRD 1.4.5 ready.
::/0               blackhole [dropall 11:19:29] ! (50)

Is this a known bug? Or have I misconfigured something? What does the
exclamation mean?

Regards,
Anand