BIRD crashes with 1000 peers

Daniel Seidenstücker d.seidenstuecker at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:10:09 CET 2016

Dear BIRD community,

I want to connect BIRD 1.5.0 with more than 1000 ExaBGP peers on Ubuntu
14.04 LTS 64 Bit. Connecting 1000 peers works but if I increase the peer
count to more than 1024 it fails due to the soft file limit of 1024.

To raise that I tried the usual (ulimit, /etc/security/limits.conf) but BIRD
doesn’t take these new limits. Later I found the advice to add  “ulimit -n
10000” to the init.d script before each “start-stop-daemon” command. After
restarting BIRD it gets the correct soft and hard limits (cat
/proc/<pid>/limits | grep files). But now only 750 peers work and connecting
1000 peers crashs bird without any error message in syslog (“log syslog all”
configured). (I did not test 751-999 peers.)

It would be nice if somebody could help meJ.

Thanks,

Daniel Seidenstuecker