Bird very slow and not importing all routes

noc at dolphin-it.de noc at dolphin-it.de
Mon May 30 19:32:18 CEST 2016

Hi,

I set up bird and bird6 to replace my quagga-setup. I get full-tables for IPv4 and IPv6 but bird fails to import most of them.

Example: Quagga needs a maximum of 10 seconds to import 500k routes into main table where bird needs 20 minutes to reach this state:

bgp_peer1 BGP      master   up     19:07:10    Established
  Preference:     100
  Input filter:   ACCEPT
  Output filter:  (unnamed)
  Routes:         226754 imported, 1 exported, 226754 preferred
  Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
    Import updates:         226754          0          0          0     226754
    Import withdraws:            0          0        ---          0          0
    Export updates:         226755     226754          0        ---          1
    Export withdraws:            0        ---        ---        ---          0
  BGP state:          Established
    Neighbor address: X
    Neighbor AS:      X
    Neighbor ID:      X
    Neighbor caps:    refresh restart-aware AS4
    Session:          external AS4
    Source address:   X
    Hold timer:       72/90
    Keepalive timer:  10/30

My config (AS and Net anonymized):
# Set local AS
define myas=13456;

protocol device {
        scan time 10;
}

protocol kernel {
        import all;
        export all;
        persist;
        scan time 15;
}

protocol static static_bgp {
        import all;

        # My net - Set prefixes to be announced (anonymized)
        route 1.1.1.0/24 reject;
}

protocol bgp bgp_peer1 {
        import all;
        export where proto = "static_bgp";
        interpret communities no;
        missing lladdr ignore;
        local as myas;
        neighbor 8.8.8.8 as 1234;
        password "xxxxxxxxxxxx";
}

I don't see what is going wrong. Also I don't get why routes are re-exported to bgp_peer1 while "static_bgp" only lists one network.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin