bird on Xenial doesn't restart after reboot

Neil Jerram neil at tigera.io
Mon Sep 12 16:56:13 CEST 2016

Hi Ondrej,

I'm really sorry for not having tested this carefully before now - but
unfortunately it appears that this is not completely fixed yet.  On a
system where bird 1.6.0-2+xenial+1 is installed:

- systemctl still reports that the bird service is disabled:

ubuntu at ip-172-31-63-57:~$ systemctl status bird

● bird.service - BIRD Internet Routing Daemon (IPv4)

   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bird.service; disabled; vendor
preset: enabled)

   Active: active (running) since Mon 2016-09-12 13:09:46 UTC; 1h 31min
ago

[...]

- In /var/lib/dpkg/info/bird.postinst there are no deb-systemd-helper
calls; whereas I do see these in one of my own packages that is built
--with systemd.

I guess the problem is that debian/rules needs to have an override for
dh_systemd_enable, and to use --name, similarly as it does for
dh_installinit, in order to deal correctly with how the .service files are
named