BIRD BGP and VRF - Cannot assign requested address

Clément Guivy clement at guivy.fr
Sun Aug 6 17:03:00 CEST 2017

On 06/08/2017 12:27, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> The difference is that such bug affect only outgoing connnections, not
> incoming connections. In your IBGP case, both routers are affected by the
> bug, so no connection is possible. In your EBGP case, incoming
> connections are from hardware routers not affected by the bug.

ok, that makes sense.

> My mistake. It is commit 33b6c292c3e3a8972d0b9f43d156aae50db65720 [1], which
> is newer than the verson 1.6.3, which you are probably using.
>
> [1] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/commit/33b6c292c3e3a8972d0b9f43d156aae50db65720

that's in version 2 I suppose ? (don't have much knowledge of gitlab
sorry). If so I'd rather not use it until it's out of beta. Good to know
it's coming though.

> I don't think it is deterministic by BIRD code, if you have multiple
> interfaces with the same prefix, the selected interface for given IP
> depends probably on the order in which BIRD found them.

Not sure I fully understand here, what if I set different IP to eth1.3
and internet vrf interface (while leaving them in the same prefix) ?
Since in the bird.conf we specify a source IP address (not a prefix),
wouldn't that be enough to guarantee that internet vrf interface is
picked and not eth1.3 ?