Bird - hardware, vm.

Lauro, John jlauro at umflint.edu
Mon Dec 11 00:05:59 CET 2017

Haven't tried it myself, but doing a quick google, netmap works fine in a virtual machine.

Back in 2013 vmware 5.5 was pushing 7.5 million pps with 8 10GbE (and a lot of network optimizations between 5.5 and 6.5) https://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2013/09/line-rate-performance-with-80gbe-and-vsphere-5-5-2.html, and machines are faster now, 40Gbe and 100Gbe are more common, etc...  but how many people is that a bottleneck?  Networking between vms on the same host are already faster than going out a physical nic.

What level of performance do you need that doesn't work in a vm?