OSPF ptmp

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Feb 7 15:11:51 CET 2017

On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 09:38:20AM +0000, Борис Коваленко wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Trying to run bird on ethernet interface with type = ptmp. Yes, I know that
> ethernet is broadcast interface, but there is a good practice to use ptmp
> on ethernet. I found a strange bug. When type = ptmp, bird sends only one
> Hello packet and then stops (and even receive?) next packets until I fully
> restart bird, while other side (cisco or mikrotik) sends packets every 10s
> (as configured).

Hello

To which address it sends the Hello packet? To the first learned neighbor?
What you see in logs if you enable 'debug all' for OSPF? What is shown by
'show ospf neighbors'?

Note that BIRD expect that you specify neighbors in 'neighbors' section
for NBMA or PTMP modes, but it would learn neighbors from received Hello
packets.

> There is no problems with type = broadcast

> FreeBSD - 11-STABLE
> Bird 1.6.3

There were people reporting problems in FreeBSD 11 due to API change,
but that would affect also broadcast mode:

https://www.mail-archive.com/bird-users@network.cz/msg01542.html