OSPF ptmp

Борис Коваленко b.ju.kovalenko at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 06:47:16 CET 2017

Hello, Ondrej!

There was something wrong with my previous test. So I did new one.

Answering your questions:

1) Where interface is broadcast and mode is ptmp - bird does not send
any packet (checked with tcpdump) but with "debug all" there are
messages "<TRACE> main_ospf: HELLO packet sent via em0" every tick.

2) Yes, if neighbors are configured ptmp works as expected. Without
neighbors configured it even does not learn neighbors from incoming
packets.

3) I read FreeBSD related post, but 1.6.3 is official port for FreeBSD
and it includes patch:

+#if (defined __OpenBSD__) || (defined __DragonFly__) || (defined
__FreeBSD__ && (__FreeBSD_version >= 1100030))
+  /* Different BSDs have different expectations of ip_len endianity */
   ip->ip_len = htons(ip->ip_len);
 #endif

4) There really are no problems with mode == broadcast

>* Hello!
*> >* Trying to run bird on ethernet interface with type = ptmp. Yes,
I know that
*>* ethernet is broadcast interface, but there is a good practice to use ptmp
*>* on ethernet. I found a strange bug. When type = ptmp, bird sends only one
*>* Hello packet and then stops (and even receive?) next packets until I fully
*>* restart bird, while other side (cisco or mikrotik) sends packets every 10s
*>* (as configured).
*
Hello

To which address it sends the Hello packet? To the first learned neighbor?
What you see in logs if you enable 'debug all' for OSPF? What is shown by
'show ospf neighbors'?

Note that BIRD expect that you specify neighbors in 'neighbors' section
for NBMA or PTMP modes, but it would learn neighbors from received Hello
packets.

*
>* FreeBSD - 11-STABLE
*>* Bird 1.6.3
*
There were people reporting problems in FreeBSD 11 due to API change,
but that would affect also broadcast mode:
https://www.mail-archive.com/bird-users@network.cz/msg01542.html

Ondrej 'Santiago' Zajicek (email: santiago at crfreenet.org

С уважением,
Борис Коваленко