Some autoconf cleanups

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Mar 7 00:17:41 CET 2017

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 06:13:16PM +0100, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
> The goal of this series is to make it possible to run autoreconf on a git checkout.
>
> It does this by moving configure.in to configure.ac and fixes deprecation warnings
> and errors generated by autoheader.

Hi

Thanks for the cleanup patches, our configure script is old and not much
kept up-to-date. I have some questions w.r.t. your patches:

It seems that (by removing sysdep/autoconf.h.in) the patchset not only
make it possible to run autoreconf, but make it necessary. I am not
familiar with that tool, could you briefly describe what are advantages
of using it?

>  rename aclocal.m4 => m4/bird.m4 (100%)

Is this necessary? I have an aversion to boilerplate directories
containing just one file.

> +AH_TEMPLATE(CONFIG_BABEL)
> +AH_TEMPLATE(CONFIG_BFD)

Shouldn't quotes be also there? Esp. when other patches added plenty of
quotes to other macro expressions.

> -AC_INIT(conf/confbase.Y)
> +AC_INIT

According to autoconf doc, AC_INIT should have at least arguments
'package, version'? Well, they were missing in the old code too ...