Static routing

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Sep 24 17:58:39 CEST 2017

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 02:51:46PM +0200, Александра Урошевска wrote:
> Hi all bird users,
>
> I have started with fresh configuration of BIRD. And I want to use a
> default routing table with static routing. Is there any template for
> configuration of protocol static, protocol kernel, protocol direct?

Hi

Not sure if we have such basic example somewhere, i think Debian BIRD
packages have something like that as a default configuration. You can use
our OSPF example without OSPF protocol iself:

https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/wikis/OSPF_example

Note that you do not usually need direct protocol, but you need device
protocol. So it is something like:

log syslog all;

router id A.B.C.D;

protocol device {
}

protocol kernel {
        export all;
}

protocol static {
        route 192.168.X.Y/24 via 192.168.A.B;
        route 192.168.X.Z/24 via 192.168.A.B;
}

For more protocol options, there is documentation:

http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-6.html