Decode BGP Shutdown Communication messages (RFC 8203)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Sep 26 14:22:20 CEST 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:14:11AM +0200, Peter Hessler wrote:
> On 2017 Sep 19 (Tue) at 20:53:47 +0200 (+0200), Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> :Merged with some significant changes, with support for both RX and TX of
> :shutdown communication:
> :
> :Unfortunately, that means that from Unix shell you have to do double qouting:
> :
> :birdc disable bgp1 '"hi, we will upgrade to bird 1.6.4"'
> :
>
> Um, requiring double quoting violates POLA.  This isn't user friendly at
> all.

Well, while i consider it cumbersome, i would argue that it is consistent
with POLA. Anyone who take into account two premises, namely:

1) BIRD always requires quotes for string constants
2) Quoting is removed by shell

would conclude that additional qouting is necessary, like it is common
with other CLI tools with nontrivial arguments (e.g. grep). Not
requiring quoting would be exception and therefore violating POLA.

> It shouldn't be that hard to only require one set of quotes in both the
> unix shell and the birdc shell.

We use the same lexer and parser for both CLI and arguments and quotes
are not just for token separation (which is already done by shell for
arguments), but are intrinsic part of string tokens to distinquish them
from symbol tokens. Changing that would require significant changes to
lexer with likely impact on backward compatibility.