BGP connection between two peers

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Sep 27 22:48:45 CEST 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 10:04:26PM +0200, Александра Урошевска wrote:
> After a hard work all day, I install again BIRD and seems to work very well.
> Thank you for the advices Anton Danilov, I can't say why didn't work. But,
> I can share my previous installation and the current installation, I don't
> know either is wrong there somethig or not. On my previous installation the
> commands showed no results.

Hi

I would guess that BGP in your previous configuration worked, BGP session
was up (that could be verified by 'show protocols all') and would forward
routes, but on both routers there was no protocol that would generate any
route (like Static protocol for static routes or Direct protocol for
direct routes), so 'show route' shows empty tables and BGP has nothing to
forward. BGP itself does not define new routes and Kernel protocol
requires 'learn' option to import routes from kernel, otherwise it only
works in the other direction (BIRD -> kernel).

> bird> sh route
> 0.0.0.0/0          via 10.0.2.2 on enp0s3 [kernel1 21:55:40] * (10)
> 10.0.2.0/24        dev enp0s3 [direct1 21:55:40] * (240)
> 169.254.0.0/16     dev enp0s3 [kernel1 21:55:40] * (10)

In your new configuration you have Direct protocol responsible for 10.0.2.0/24
route and Kernel protocol with 'learn' responsible for the other two routes.