Difference between loopback and dummy interfaces for use in Linux routing

Wilhelm Schuster ws at rot13.io
Fri Apr 27 17:50:49 CEST 2018

On 2018-04-27 13:08, Daniel Suchy wrote:
> There's quite good article discussing that:
> https://b4ldr.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/dummies-link-local-and-the-loop-back/

Thank you for providing the link. Though I'm not sure if I fully
understand the implications of the post: In the conclusion they wrote:

> Using the loopback interface caused other issues due to the fact that there is no link-local address. with the loopback interface the next hop for the default route becomes unreachable due to the lack of a link-local address so it is probably best to stick with the dummy interface
>
> root at router1:~# ip -6 route
> 2001:db8:1::/64 dev zzz0  proto kernel  metric 256
> unreachable 2001:db8::/47 dev lo  proto kernel  metric 256  error -101
> fe80::/64 dev zzz0  proto kernel  metric 256
> unreachable fe80::/64 dev lo  proto kernel  metric 256  error -101
> unreachable default dev lo  proto zebra  metric 1024  error -101

Why does the lack of a link-local address result in the default route
being marked unreachable? I'm guessing this is, because the lack of a
link-local address implies that the interface is not on a IPv6 link and
thus won't be able to reach another host (since the v6 spec requires
interfaces to at least have a link-local address).