Difference between loopback and dummy interfaces for use in Linux routing

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Apr 27 21:56:50 CEST 2018

On 04/27/2018 10:26 AM, Wilhelm Schuster wrote:
> Thank you for the explanation.

You're welcome.

> Can you give a scenario where I would want to use multiple dummy's instead
> of just adding/removing addresses to the loopback interface?

I like the idea that lo is used exclusively by the localhost and there
is no non-local traffic to / from it.  —  With this in mind, it's
entirely possible to add a dummy interface to bind a service that does
communicate with non-local systems.  Thus maintaining lo for local only
traffic.

> I can't use a dummy interface for "real" packet processing since it just
> drops the packet.

You absolutely can use a dummy interface for real traffic.  Or at least
you can use it like you can use a loop back.  You can easily bind a
routed IP address to a dummy interface and use that to communicate with
other machines.  I think it's common for BGP neighbor sessions to be
terminated on a dummy address (much like Cisco uses loop backs.)

> If the use case is to make addresses from loopback/dummy available on
> other interfaces, then does it matter if those addresses originally came
> from a single lo or multiple dummy's?

I don't know that it technically matters.  I have heard of people using
it as a mechanism to enable isolating lo for pure loop back / local host
services.  Read:  soft under belly of the system.  Conversely, dummy can
act like another NIC connected to a switch to bring the link up and
nothing else connected.

I think there was a time when the loop back interface had hard isolation
in the kernel such that no non-local traffic could get into / out of the
lo interface.  Thus you had to use something like dummy to bind BGP to
if you wanted to be link agnostic.

My recent tests indicate that there is not currently a hard isolation
like this in the kernel that I'm running.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die