Bird 2.0.1/ RR VPNv6 Issue

Gilles Friang gilles.friang at sewan.fr
Thu Feb 1 16:49:44 CET 2018

Hello,

I am testing Bird 2.0.1 as a RR in order to replace very old Cisco Hardware RR.

Everything was fine until I tried VPNv6 RR. Bird seems to ignore all vpnv6 routes:
  Channel vpn4-mpls
    State:          UP
    Table:          vpntab4
    Preference:     100
    Input filter:   ACCEPT
    Output filter:  ACCEPT
    Routes:         5237 imported, 17 exported
    Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
      Import updates:           5362          0          0          0       5362
      Import withdraws:          125          0        ---          0        125
      Export updates:           5401       5362          0        ---         39
      Export withdraws:          147        ---        ---        ---         22
    BGP Next hop:   A.A.A.A
    IGP IPv4 table: master4
  Channel vpn6-mpls
    State:          UP
    Table:          vpntab6
    Preference:     100
    Input filter:   ACCEPT
    Output filter:  ACCEPT
    Routes:         0 imported, 0 exported
    Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
      Import updates:              0             0                 0                0               0
      Import withdraws:         4889       0                ---           4889             0
      Export updates:              0             0                  0               ---              0
      Export withdraws:            0          ---                ---              ---              0
    BGP Next hop:   ::
    IGP IPv6 table: master6
Unlike VPNv4 output, BGP Next hop is empty here...not sure if it's the cause of my issue.
When I check on one of the client, it was sending ipv6 routes normally.

VPNv6 are configred through ipv4 bgp sessions (which works fine with our actual RR), here is the bird.conf configuration:
log "/home/bird/log/bird.log" all;
debug commands 0;
debug protocols {states,events};
router id A.A.A.A;
ipv4 table master4;
ipv6 table master6;
vpn4 table vpntab4;
vpn6 table vpntab6;

protocol kernel kernel4 {
	#persist;                # Don't remove routes on BIRD shutdown
	debug off;
	scan time 20;           # Scan kernel routing table every 20 seconds
	ipv4{
		export all;             # Default is export none
	};
}
protocol kernel kernel6 {
	scan time 20;
	debug off;
	ipv6 {
		export all;
	};
}

protocol device {
        scan time 10;           # Scan interfaces every 10 seconds
        debug off;
}

protocol static static4 {
        ipv4;
        route B.B.0.0/16 via C.C.C.C;
}

template bgp rr_client {
	local A.A.A.A as 65000;
	passive on;
	multihop;
	rr client;
	rr cluster id 500;

	ipv4 {
	        # connects to master4 table by default
	        import all;
	        #export where source ~ [ RTS_STATIC, RTS_BGP ];
	};

	vpn4 mpls {
		# connects to vpntab4 table by default
		import all;