How do I configure BIRD to support multiple Linux kernel routing tables?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Feb 25 05:03:28 CET 2018

Pre Script:  I'm a BIRD n00b

How do I configure BIRD to support multiple Linux kernel routing tables?

I have found and tried a few different things on the web, but none seem
to be doing what I want.

I want to export routes from my "main" routing table (254) and an
additional routing table "default" (253).

Aside:  I have multiple ip rules to cascade across multiple routing
tables (local, main, reject, bogons, …, and finally default) looking for
a match.  I do this so that I can have Linux's routing stack handle
various filtering for me.

BIRD is successfully exporting routes from the main (254) routing table.
  I'd like to also export route(s) from the default (253) routing table.

# cat /etc/bird.conf
protocol kernel main {
         learn;
         export all;
         import all;
         persist no;
}

protocol device {
}

protocol direct {
         interface "*";
}

protocol rip {
         export all;
         import all;
         interface "eth0", "eth1", "eth2", "eth3" {
                 version 2;
         };
}

I have tried adding additional kernel protocols, including various
incarnations of (kernel) table # entries and have had: syntax errors,
references to required additional lines, and other unhappy things.

So, will someone point me at a document that talks about how to work
with multiple Linux routing tables?

Thank you in advance.

--
Grant. . . .