Routing via device, not via next hop?

Maximilian Wilhelm max at rfc2324.org
Sun Mar 11 17:56:11 CET 2018

Anno domini 2018 Michael Schwartzkopff scripsit:

Hi,

> I want to set up a gre tunnel between two routers that speak BGP. bird
> exports the learned route to the kernel with "via":

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here.

Are the two routers already speaking BGP (eBGP / iBGP?) without the
GRE tunnel? Or do you want so speak BGP over the GRE tunnel?

Can you draw a picture of the network architecture?

> 10.0.1.0/24 via 192.168.88.101 dev eth0 proto bird
>
> But with a gre tunnel I'd need something like
>
> ip route add 10.0.1.0/24 dev gre0.

This let's me assume, that you want to route the 10.0.1.0/24 prefix
over the tunnel and are trying to signal that via BGP, right?

> Is it possible to configure bird that it exports the route to the kernel
> with "dev <gre>", not with "via <nexthop>"?

That should not be neccessary.

Best
Max
--
Alles sollte so einfach wie möglich gemacht sein.
Aber nicht einfacher.  (Einstein)