BGP manage advertisement

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Wed May 9 16:27:59 CEST 2018

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 04:12:12PM +0200, Mattia Milani wrote:
> > Why do you need (configurable) MRAI timers?
>
> Because i'm studing a way to programmaticaly decide the MRAI timer in way
> to reduce the convergence of BGP after a node fail, so i need a MRAI
> configurable or at least implemented in the code to modify it like I think
> Maybe  thees could help you :
> https://www.noction.com/blog/bgp-path-hunting

Or perhaps not wait for MRAI timers to collapse, and just immediately
process & propagate any changes as they come in? If you want to reduce
convergence timing, is it helpful to hold back communicating state
changes to your neighbors?

If you think some form of MRAI timing is useful you can of course
attempt to implement this yourself and submit a patch.

> Look for the word "MRAI" in these RIPE Routing-WG minutes
> > https://www.ripe.net/participate/ripe/wg/routing/minutes/routing-working-group-minutes-ripe-75
>
> i didn't catch why you linked me that, i read where appear the word
> "MRAI", could you please explain what do you want to notice me?

My point is that there is contention around the topic of MRAI and there
are widely deployed 'misimplementations'. Geoff Huston's comments on
this topic are quite insightful.

Kind regards,

Job