BIRD - Config Support for RFC 3107 - Carrying Label Information in BGP

Thiruvazhiyan Lakshmanan TL0041926 at TechMahindra.com
Wed May 23 21:40:26 CEST 2018

Hi Ondrej,
Thanks for the reply! How about incoming labels coming from 3107 neighbor? Can BIRD program the kernel table with mpls label for next-hop loopback?

Regards,
Thiruvazhiyan L

-----Original Message-----
From: Ondrej Zajicek [mailto:santiago at crfreenet.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:07 PM
To: LAKSHMANAN, THIRUVAZHIYA; Thiruvazhiyan Lakshmanan
Cc: bird-users at network.cz
Subject: Re: BIRD - Config Support for RFC 3107 - Carrying Label Information in BGP

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 06:02:30PM +0000, LAKSHMANAN, THIRUVAZHIYA wrote:
> In the BIRD 2.0 user guide, I see the support for RFC 3107 - Carrying
> Label information in BGP. We want to configure a VM with BIRD agent
> working like a PE for adding MPLS labels for IPv4 and IPv6 unicast
> routes. Do we have this configuration supported now, and can I get any
> sample working configuration for this please.

Hi

Unfortunately BIRD support for MPLS is currently limited. Can be used as
a BGP route reflector, or can configure static MPLS routes (with static
labels) and announce them. But no automatic route labeling.

For example, see this config:

https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/blob/int-new/doc/bird.conf.example2
(although static routes there are VPN routes, it is analogous).

Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy statement, you may review the policy at http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html <http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html> externally http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html <http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html> internally within TechMahindra.