How to make BIRD use the kernel routing metric?

Lukas Liebig lukas.liebig91 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 08:21:12 CET 2018

Hello,

I use BIRD 2.0.2 and want the OSPF daemon to announce the Linux kernel
routing metric. For instance, if I run "ip route add table 44 to 10.2.3.0/24
metric 1234 dev eth0", I want this route to propagate into BIRD. Therefore
I use the kernel protocol configured like this:

protocol kernel {
    ipv4 {
        export all;
        import all;
    };
    learn;
    kernel table 44;
    scan time 10;
}

My OSPF instance reads data from table master4. "show ospf state" displays
my kernel route as "external", but with "metric2 10000". According to the
documentation https://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&v=20&f=bird-6.html#ss6.6 I
tried to use metric 0; but without any effect. Do I overlook something
essential?

Best regards
Lukas Liebig