How to make BIRD use the kernel routing metric?

Clemens Schrimpe clemens.schrimpe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:13:31 CET 2018

> Not sure how to achieve the same in BIRD.

While you are at it … (sorry for riding along on your thread)

It raises the general question of „how does one extract certain data from different protocols“, i.e. into a variable so it can be „mathed“ with and then re-used in an im- or export filter to be translated into another protocol’s metric.

So in your case: Can the krt_metric attribute of routes „learned“ from the kernel be read and stored in a variable?

In my case: How can I read the contents of each part of the tuplets/triplets from BGP communities? So far I only know of ways to test for the existence of particular values. (i.e. get the third part of a BGP large community with known first & second parts into a variable)

Thanks for any hints provided -

	Clemens