BIRD 2.0.2 documentation build failure

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Nov 30 01:03:12 CET 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 11:03:23PM +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
> Hello Ondrej,
>
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> > Build of documentation is integrated in main build system, so you are not
> > supposed to do 'make -C doc', but use make with appropriate target (e.g.
> > progdocs) from BIRD root directory.
>
> ah, there's my mistake. However, a regular "./configure && make" does not
> build any documentation but "make all docs" rather "make" does the job now,

Yes, there are separate targets for documentation (docs, userdocs,
progdocs) as it requires obscure tools to build it and it is rarely
necessary, so it is not built as part of the default 'all' target.

> except that Fedora and RHEL/CentOS have their SGML files at another place
> compared to Debian. Unfortunately,
>
>   make docs \
>     SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog

Thanks for noticing the issue. Definitely, these tools should also accept
the path from the environment if it is defined.

> does not work, because doc/sgml2{html,latex,txt} override this environment
> variable with "$DataDir/dtd/catalog", thus doc/LinuxDocTools.pm:245 has
> always the wrong value. Personally, I see two possible ways to address this
> using a patch, attaching both given that my freshly created GitLab account
> at gitlab.labs.nic.cz is limited (by default?) to zero forks/projects.

We generally prefer patches through mailing list.

Seems to me that both patches makes sense. Thanks.