Routes received from another AS marked as IGP

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Thu Sep 13 17:52:35 CEST 2018

This is the (now completely useless) mandatory ORIGIN attribute in BGP. It can be either IGP, EGP, or INCOMPLETE. It was used in prehistoric times to allow proper transition from EGP to BGP.
Actually it has nothing to do with IGP today. BGP implementations can mark redistributed routes as IGP (BIRD, Juniper) or as INCOMPLETE (Cisco, Quagga, and others).

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4271#section-4.3 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4271#section-4.3>
and https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2018-June/012380.html <https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2018-June/012380.html>

A best practice is most probably to mark/left everything as Origin=IGP in order to completely ignore this (now useless) attribute in the BGP path selection algo.