Static routes stuck in dormant state (interface discovery broken?)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Sep 18 14:27:16 CEST 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 08:38:56AM +0000, Kenth Eriksson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using BIRD 2.0.2 and have trouble with static routes that gets stuck in dormant state.  It looks as the problem happens if the static route is pushed into BIRD config before the interface exists. BIRD detects when interfaces go up and down, but misses when interfaces are added. The only way I have found to kick BIRD out if this state is to issue another configure command after the interface exists.
>
> Reproducing this is very easy, simply add a static route over a sub-interface that is not yet created, this leaves the route in dormant state

Hi

Works for me:

# ./birdc -l show static static4
BIRD v2.0.2-40-g0ed3129f-x ready.
10.10.10.0/24
    dev ve0.10 (dormant)

# ./birdc -l show route 10.10.10.0/24
BIRD v2.0.2-40-g0ed3129f-x ready.
Network not found

# vconfig add ve0 10
Added VLAN with VID == 10 to IF -:ve0:-

# ifconfig ve0.10 up

# ./birdc -l show static static4
BIRD v2.0.2-40-g0ed3129f-x ready.
10.10.10.0/24
    dev ve0.10

# ./birdc -l show route 10.10.10.0/24
BIRD v2.0.2-40-g0ed3129f-x ready.
Table master4:
10.10.10.0/24        unicast [static4 14:21:18.093] * (200)
    dev ve0.10

Although i am trying it on current int-new Git branch, i don't see any
relevant changes since v2.0.2

Could you try it with enabled 'debug all' for static and device protocols
and report the logs?